Saturday, September 14, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal




I have really missed posting and linking up to the Homeschool Mother's Journal and hope to do more of that now that the school year is in full swing.

In my life this week… 

Life is busy. Too busy I think and we aren't really doing much outside of going to church and homeschooling. Having a large family just equals busyness I think.

I issued a challenge to my family (and ultimately myself) to make our bread for this entire month.  I have been on a long quest toward healthy eating and it's time they came along.  NO store bought white or wheat bread.  I told my 10 year old that after a month of eating good bread she probably wouldn't even like that "bread" anymore.  We shall see.  I know that I couldn't eat it without gagging. :)


In our homeschool this week…

We had a full week.  My favorite thing we are doing this year is Circle Time.  I just love the time we have together each morning.  We start out reading a chapter of the Bible, then we have a short devotion.  On Mondays I read from Susan Hunt's book, My ABC Bible Verses and the other days we are having a lesson from Polite Moments by Gary Maldaner.  I love both of these.  We also review our verses that we are learning from the ABC book every day.  

We are learning US geography this year so we go over the states we have learned so far with large flashcards I made. We have learned the New England States so far and we are working on the Mid-Atlantic States now too.  I also ask questions from the Trail Guide to US Geography. (The kids work on maps later in the day.)

Other things we are doing in our Circle Time include Greek and Latin roots, Bible trivia, OT39 flashcards and lots of reading aloud.  I can't say enough about how much I LOVE Circle time.

This week we read:

Ruth Heller's Merry-Go-Round (book about nouns)
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (several chapters)



Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… 

The longer we homeschool the less I feel like I have tips and advice.  Just keep plugging I guess...oh and don't be afraid to ditch something if it isn't working.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… 

Unless going to church and the grocery store count, we haven't been going anywhere or seeing anyone.


Things I’m working on…

Going to bed earlier...and getting up early.  Had a pretty good week with that.


I’m cooking…

As I mentioned above I am making all of our bread...and with a family my size it means I am baking quite a bit of bread. I'm also making my own yogurt and kefir.  I LOVE being in the kitchen.  It makes me happy.

Hopefully I will have some pictures for next week's post but I didn't want to let my lack of pictures prevent me from linking up.

Head on over to Homeschool Mother's Journal to link up or see what others are up to.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...