Monday, November 7, 2011

What I've Been Knitting

A couple of years ago I started learning to knit.  I've known how to crochet for close to 13 years.  I learned when I was pregnant with Ryan and he just turned 12 this week.  Anyway, recently I learned of a new tool called the Knook made by Leisure Arts.  I bought it when I saw it in the store thinking it was something I could give my 8 year old for Christmas.  When I looked at it I thought it was a crochet hook on one side and knitting needle on the other (which really doesn't even make sense). I ended up trying it out myself.  It was too slow and if I made a mistake I didn't know how to fix it. (which was one of the major problems I have with knitting).



I had my 14 year old daughter sit down next to me with her knitting and I had my knook. We cast on the same number of stitches and had a race.  She was finished with her row before I was halfway done with mine.  I decided I should try knitting again.

Because I hadn't knit in a long time and didn't have that much experience anyway, I asked one of the girls to remind me how to knit. I automatically held the yarn in my left hand like I do when I crochet.  It was only later that I realized that most people knit holding the yarn in their right hand. That was always so awkward for me.  I have come to learn that there are names for each style of knitting depending on which hand you hold your yarn in (and other methods).  I consider myself to be a continental knitter (though I still don't hold the yarn exactly the way they do but, I don't hold my pencil correctly either.)

So...here's what I've made in recent days.

me with my new coat and cowl scarf


closer up view of the cowl
The cowl is a knit only scarf made with a beautiful bulky yarn called Hometown USA in Phoenix Azalea. I only made this last week but I am drawing a blank as to where I got the pattern from.  I'll post it if I remember.

Prior to making the cowl scarf I attempted to make a different cowl without a pattern.  Once I sewed it up it wasn't big enough to go over my head so I turned it into a hat (which I haven't taken any pictures of.)  Ryan liked the hat and I had a skein of the yarn left so I thought I'd make him a matching scarf. I decided to make this one. BUT, I didn't have enough yarn to make a long scarf so I ended up turning it into this scarflette (or neck warmer). I really love it.  It's soft and comfy.  I didn't realize that the button wasn't all the way through when we took the picture.  (It's a toggle button)

Then I turned to dishcloth making.  I made this one:


I used this pattern for the "yellow dishcloth".  There is a mistake in it, but it's a dishcloth....it's OK. :)

I made this one today.  I watched this video first.  I love knitting on circular needles.
 It was the first time I tried that. I love this pattern and will make many more of these.

This one is on my needles now. It's a dishcloth, knit with two strands.
Easy peasy-- all knitting.  

I'm also working on this one(blue pattern). I really like it but, I made a mistake and it's a nightmare
 trying to rip it out and fix it so I've set it aside for a bit.

my new 31 bag just for my knitting  :)
I have so many projects I want to try and I am really enjoying knitting.  I hope that over time I'll learn how to fix my mistakes and that will make it even more enjoyable.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...