Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Nature Study

A month or so ago I purchased Winter Nature Study with Art and Music Appreciation by Barbara McCoy at the Handbook of Nature Study blog.  I loved the idea of having the challenges all in one place AND especially the addition of art and music study.

We completed the first challenge on Friday.  I had planned to do the cattail study in the autumn but we never got around to it.  I only pointed them out a few times when we drove by.  I made an effort last week to make sure we did this as I knew we had snow coming and we wouldn't be able to do it.

We weren't there too long.  It was COLD.  But we observed then Emma drew a very quick sketch and we went to the library where it was nice and warm.  I am looking forward to observing the changes of the cattails over the course of the year.

cattails in a tiny bit of snow

cattails..there is a tiny stream running through here


cattails lining both sides of the icy water

close up of the cattail
This week we've been listening to Vivaldi's Winter along with some other "winter" classical music on a CD I got from the library.  Emma (almost 8) really likes it.  She even comes out asking me where the CD is so she can listen to it.  (I find that shocking....don't ask me why, I just do.)  We haven't started our art study yet but we will soon.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Welcome to the Winter Series of Outdoor Hour Challenges! It looks like you were successful in finding your cattails and now you will be able to observe them for the whole year. :)

I love that your daughter is asking for the Vivaldi CD! It warms my heart to know that there are families that are sharing classical music with their children and it is enjoyable.

I look forward to your next post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...