Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Brown Rice Salad for lunch

My current favorite lunch recipe is a brown rice salad.  If you've been reading my blog you know that I have been on an 11 month long weight loss journey.  I began it on the Flat Belly Diet by Prevention magazine.  In the FBD Pocket Guide there is a "recipe" for brown rice salad.


When my friend, Amanda, told me about this salad I didn't think it sounded very good but decided to try it anyway and I love it.  Over the summer, I fell into a pattern of eating a 400 calorie lunch but it usually consisted of some kind of sandwich, baked potato chips and a Weight Watchers Ice Cream bar.(Dark Chocolate Raspberry!)  Recently, I decided that I should get back to eating some healthier foods for lunch.


The recipe calls for brown rice which I do sometimes use. But currently I buy a brown rice medley at Trader Joe's that is delicious.  I cook it in a rice cooker and then portion it out in half cup portions in Press N Seal and keep it in the freezer. Then I can have rice in 1 minute in the microwave.


So my salad consists of:

1/2 cup brown rice
1/3 cup pinto beans (I use whatever canned beans I have on hand..watch calorie counts, they are not all equal)
1/4 cup avocado
2 T. salsa
2 T. lime juice
1 small tomato, chopped
black pepper to taste

(The original recipe also calls for 2 tsp. olive oil but I leave it out so I can eat an ice cream bar...yes..I know I said I wanted to be healthier but I LOVE them. :) )

(I usually sprinkle with a bit of salt.)

It's so yummy and nutritious.  Give it a try and let me know how you like it.  What is your favorite healthy lunch?


5 comments:

Amanda Towne said...

I haven't made this in a while--I should! We have been eating a lot more beans lately--lots of good soups and stews!

Christi said...

Oh this looks so good, I'll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I appreciate the comment. Thanks for the follow, I'm following back.

Our Homeschool Reviews said...

Oh this sounds really good. Thanks for posting the whole recipe and thanks for stopping by. :)

Leslie said...

This looks yummy. I have all of it except the avocados which we finished off over the week -end. Will have to try it again later. I'm going to pin it! Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Actually Leslie, I eat it without the avocado too. There is no avocado in that picture. I hope you like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...