Saturday, September 24, 2011

BLT in a Bowl

I had mentioned in a previous post that I think half the battle of losing weight is figuring out what to eat.  I plan to share some of my favorite recipes and quick fixes that I have used while losing 50 lbs (so far).

This is a recipe I've had for quite a while, but sort of forgot about it until Rob mentioned it the other day.   It comes from the Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers: Improving the Way Your Family Eats One Meal at a Time. Honestly, my kids prefer just the plain soup so I made them plain tomato soup. (Yes, from a can.)


I really had forgotten how good this was until we had it tonight. It's super fast and only 260 calories in about a 2 cup serving.  (It made 8 cups and it serves 4 but I used 1 large can of soup instead of the 2 smaller cans and that makes for a little extra soup.)


B.L.T. in a Bowl


Two 10 oz cans less-sodium tomato soup (I just used the regular.)
2 cans water
6 to 8 oz. frozen cheese tortellini
one 6-oz. bag pre-washed baby spinach (about 4 packed cups)
4 tsp. real bacon bits (I bought some turkey bacon bits.)
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese, optional


Pour tomato soup and water into large saucepan and stir to combine.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook, uncovered, according to package directions, stirring frequently. Do not drain.  Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.  Serve in individual bowls and top with bacon bits and Parmesan cheese as desired.

printable version



I highly recommend this soup and The Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers.  You'll find more recipes here.You might want to check the book out of the library first to see if you like it or better yet head over to their website. (or purchase it at Amazon.) They have a new book out, No Whine With Dinner that I haven't had a chance to look through but I'm going to see if it's at the library.

1 comment:

Amanda Towne said...

Mmmm! Can't wait to try this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...